Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Only 32 More...

After a relaxing week at the beach (we'll never be able to thank you enough Tammy) it was time to begin what we hope is the final step in this journey….radiation. Allison’s mom took her to get “tattoo'd” yesterday. Honestly, I was a little excited and was hoping for some sort of flaming heart or a little Gamecock….didn’t realize it was just a Sharpie and that they would just draw random lines on her. “Well dang, that’s not as sexy as I was thinking it would be!” I don’t think she liked that comment, but my 10 year old sense of humor couldn’t help but giggle.

She was originally scheduled to begin 33 radiation treatments on Wednesday, but after the tattoo she was told they wanted to go ahead and start today. It kind of took her off guard so I don’t think she was completely prepared mentally to begin but she obviously agreed. The sooner she starts the sooner it’ll be over, right?

Last night we had a terrible storm, our little indoor yappy dogs get a little excited when it begins to thunder…I’m waiting for Jordie's heart to explode any minute at the rate he’s breathing! Allison ends up on the couch with 2 dogs and I end up in the bed with one (doesn't seem fair, but that’s the way it worked out). Needless to say she didn't sleep well. That may have contributed to the emotion of the moment after today’s first treatment. She couldn't control her emotions and tears began to flow. This was something new and she’s not used to it yet, she’ll be fine after a few treatments. Seriously?? Do you actually get used to lying vulnerable on medical equipment while radiation is directed into your body? I hurt for her just thinking about her lying there and me not being able to help her. I just keep thinking 32 more, 32 more….tomorrow I’ll say 31 more, 31 more…

That's kind of how we've dealt with this entire journey…"Father, get us through today". Tomorrow we'll say "Father, get us through today". If you do that enough times, with the right attitude (thankful) and the amount of faith we've been able to muster, you end up waking one morning and saying "Wow, 6 months have gone by and look how far the Lord has carried us"!

No way, no how would we have been able to travel this journey in our own power. I can't comprehend the amount of pain, confusion and lack of peace someone would have to endure if they didn't have a relationship with their Creator the way we do. It blows my mind to even consider. I sure am glad I don’t have to worry about that…Father, get us through today!

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Fortunately, God doesn't require much faith...just that of the size of a mustard seed. Amazing, huh? You're on the last leg of this journey and we're still going along with you. Thanks for allowing us to walk with you along this way. Love y'all!

The Crowe Family said...

We love you guys. I, like Katherine, am glad to be going along for the ride with you as well. It seems to have done much more than we'll ever know. People are closer, Allison's getting better, prayers are being lifted daily by God's people. I could go on, but I wouldn't have room. May God continue to richly bless you through this trial. Much love and prayer for all of you!