Saturday, May 14, 2011

Relay For Life - Greer

Today we had our monthly appointment to see Dr. Christman, Allison's medical oncologist ("chemo doctor"). Blood work looked great with the tiny exception of low vitamin D. Uhhh, if that's the only negative we'll gladly take it! We talked more about her ongoing medical therapy and it was decided that she would continue with the Tamoxifen for the next few months. She told Allison everything looked good so we don't have to see her for 3 months! It's going to be a fantastic summer!!

I've always support the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life. I've always given to people raising money by selling cakes, burgers, etc. I've never actually raised money myself, never had the desire I guess. Well, this year Relay has taken on a whole new meaning for the Walker's. Zach's school is supporting Relay and Rhonda asked if they could sponsor Allison. How humbling. I've been raising money individually for D.R. Hill Middle School's Relay fund. My goal was initially $250. God has "shown off" and as of today I've raised $770! We are so blessed to be loved as much as we are. May we never forget nor take for granted the love in our lives.

D.R. Hill's Relay event will be in Spartanburg on May 20 (our 22nd wedding anniversary). I'm looking forward to it but tonight was Greer's event and Allison's mom has been a part of that for many years. She's a skin cancer survivor. We arrived just in time to hear the announcer say "Are you ready for some bluegrass music?"....NO!! I give Allison "the look" as if to say "let's make this short and go back home". I truly wasn't in the mood for all this. But God wanted to show me something...

At 7:00pm the opening ceremonies were about to begin, the survivors and their care givers (me!) were to meet on the track and walk the "Survivor Lap" together. However, the ominous cloud that had been overhead for the last 30 minutes had other plans. Within minutes a storm erupted. 15 minutes later clothes were soaked, chairs were soaked, food was soaked. "Allison, let's go home"...no, God wanted to show me something...

At 9:00pm they had dried off the equipment enough to begin the opening ceremonies again. So, we proceeded down to the track for the second time. A beautiful prayer was said, the National Anthem was sung, there was a sense of quiet and peace that I can't explain. The announcement was made to begin and the ribbon was cut allowing us to begin our walk. As we walked, an amazing thing happened...complete strangers began to applaud the survivors and caregivers. They gathered all the way around the track as we walked cheering us along every step of the way. It was at that moment that I knew why God had me stick around. This was extremely humbling, why would they be cheering for me, I'm just walking the journey God wants me to walk. Millions of others are going through the same journey. What's the big deal?

Oh, its a big deal alright. We ARE survivors, by the Grace of God.

1 comment:

Katie said...

LOL. Allison called it hillbilly music. That was a test!! ;-)